Dr. Cesare Scoffone is the Chief of the Department of Urology of the Cottolengo Hospital of Torino, Italy. His personal case series include thousands of open, laparoscopic, and endoscopic procedures (over 750 ECIRS, >500 en-bloc no-touch HoLEPs, thousands of RIRS) performed as first surgeon in all urologic fields, and during the last fifteen years, he has been often invited for Live Surgeries (mainly RIRS, ECIRS, bipolar TURP, HoLEP) all over the world.
He is the author of many peer-reviewed publications, guidelines, book chapters (including one in the 4th edition of the Smith’s Textbook of Endourology on ECIRS), didactic videos (also for ESU/Surgery in Motion), editor of a Springer book on ECIRS, reviewer for many international journals, member of national and international urological) societies, consultant for various companies, part of the EAU, CIE, and SIU Faculties, and chairman of the Technology and Training in Endourology Congress in Torino.
Education and training:
- 1989 Medical Degree, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Torino. Thesis on “Advanced prostatic cancer and therapy with LH-RH-agonists”.
- 1989-1994 Residency in Urology, Department of Urology, San Luigi University Hospital of Orbassano (Torino), University of Torino. Thesis on “P53 protein in bladder cancer”.
- 1991-1993 Internship followed by a full-time position in Surgery, San Lazzaro Hospital of Alba (Cuneo)
- 1993-1999 Medical Assistant in Urology, Department of Urology (Director Prof. D. Fontana), San Luigi University Hospital of Orbassano (Torino).
- 1999-2002 Medical Manager in Urology, Department of Urology (Director Prof. D. Fontana and then Prof. R. M. Scarpa), San Luigi University Hospital of Orbassano (Torino), basic professional position level D.
- 2002-2010 Medical Manager in Urology, Department of Urology, San Luigi University Hospital of Orbassano (Torino), professional position level C1 (Oncological Urology).
- 11/2010 Head of the Department of Urology, Cottolengo Hospital, Torino.
Topics of special interest and expertise:
- Endourology, including ureterorenoscopy (rigid and flexible), percutaneous nephrolithotomy and ECIRS, ESWL, bipolar prostatic resection, Holmium laser enucleation, anteroretrograde treatment of ureteral and urethral stenoses.
- Urinary Stone Disease (comprehensive metabolic evaluation, preventive medical treatment, and minimally invasive management of urinary tract stones). He created the Stone Center of the Cottolengo Hospital of Torino.
- Uro-oncology: He performed as the first surgeon about 6000 surgical procedures of all kinds (upper and lower tract endoscopy, as well as major open and laparoscopic major surgery). He was the first urologist in Italy with Professor Scarpa to perform ECIRS (PNL combined with RIRS in the Galdakao modified supine Valdivia position) in 2005.
- 1995-2002: support to the courses for residents in Urology of the University of Torino (Kidney and urinary tract diseases, Endocrine-metabolic and nephrourologic diseases, Surgical nephrology, Endoscopic procedures)
- 2003-2004: Theoretical teaching and Live Surgery in the Second Level Master’s Degree Course “Endoscopy and Urology Laparoscopy,” San Luigi Hospital of Orbassano (Torino).
- 2002-2011: Invited lectures during numerous advanced courses during congresses and meetings
Via Cottolengo 9
10152 Torino, Italy